Youth Science Canada alumni were front-and-centre at today's Youth in Motion 2012 Top 20 Under 20 Awards announcement. Seven of the twenty young Canadians honoured this year are Canada-Wide Science Fair and/or Team Canada-ISEF alumni.
This year's recipients include:
- Dheevesh Arulmani (17), Mississauga ON - CWSF 2009; Team Canada-ISEF 2010, 2011, 2012
- Sarah Flaherty (16), Hamilton ON - CWSF 2010
- Danny Huang (18), Edmonton AB - CWSF 2011
- Michael Peters (20), Victoria BC - CWSF 2007, 2010; Team Canada-ISEF 2008
- Nicholas Schiefer (18), Pickering ON - CWSF 2011; Team Canada-ISEF 2012
- Vaibhavi Solanki (17), Hanover ON - CWSF 2008, 2009
- Marshall Zhang (17), Richmond Hill ON - CWSF 2011; Team Canada-ISEF 2012
The Top 20 Under 20 Awards, presented by Youth In Motion, celebrate and honour twenty young Canadians who have demonstrated a significant level of innovation, leadership and achievement, but have not yet reached the age of 20.
The Awards have been presented annually since 2004. Over the past 8 years, a total of 46 Youth Science Canada alumni have been honoured - nearly 30% of the recipients.
Top 20 Under 20™ is open to all young Canadians under the age of 20 - regardless of race, gender and/or religious affiliations. The only requirement is that the leadership and innovation has led to the betterment of their school, community, province and/or country. (Full Eligibility Requirements). The assessment criteria look beyond academics to specific skills that have a positive impact on the everyday life of the community.
Watch the CTV news story: